Since moving into our house last year I’ve been working on our home decor as well as small DIY projects. I absolutely love the idea of over sized floor cushions and beanbags but I can never seem to find any with cool prints that don’t cost an arm and a leg. For my birthday last year I got a sewing machine and I taught myself to sew. When I say sew, I am talking basics here. I remembered that I had a box of fabrics put away and in it I found some really cool prints so decided to give the DIY floor cushions a go! This was far easier than I could have imagined and only took me one evening to make. The kids love them as does Mr T! The are great for lounging around reading or watching a movie. I had some old pillows that had rips in the seams so I used them along with a few more to fill the inside. Alternatively you can buy pillow stuffing online and use that. I didn’t even bother measuring the fabric as I wanted to get the most out of the amount I had so I just used the full piece. I think they were roughly 1.5 metes long x 1 meter wide. Again it can be any size you want!
What you will need;
2 pieces of fabric in complimenting colours and prints
Needles and thread
Stuffing for the pillow
- Start by laying both pieces of fabric on top of one another print sides facing together.
- Roughly measure and cut off excess.
- Pin both pieces together
- Using you sewing machine, sew both sides together (inside out) leaving a small gap so that it can be turned right way around and stuffed. It is important to back-stitch on either side of the gap so the stitching doesn’t come undone.
- Carefully trim excess fabric around the edges.
- Turn right way around making sure to push the corners out fully.
- Stuff with old pillows or pillow stuffing.
- Hand stitch the gap closed.
And that’s it!
I hope you enjoyed this post. Leave any questions in the comments section and I’ll try to answer them.
Bye for now!
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Facebook